1/3/22 – Episode 26
Mark Frank is a serial entrepreneur, Co-Founder and CEO of SonderMind. SonderMind is redesigning mental healthcare to make it easier to find and access approachable therapy with both online and in-person appointment options available. In today’s episode, Mark and Emily discuss Mark’s previous companies, the idea behind SonderMind, his passionate leadership style, and his definition of success.
About Mark Frank:
Mark Frank received his B.S. in Computer Science from West Point and was a Captain in the U.S. Army stationed at Fort Carson in Colorado Springs and served time in Iraq. He then attended Northwestern in Chicago to receive his MBA in Finance and Operations and his MEM in Operations and Product Innovation. Mark worked in investment banking in Chicago before moving back to Colorado to begin his entrepreneurial journey. He founded Denver CyberKnife which became Next Oncology and is now known as Anova Cancer Care (sold in 2015), SafeImageMD (sold in 2016), and co-founded TermScout in 2014 before co-founding SonderMind in the same year. Seven years since its inception, SonderMind achieved unicorn status in 2021.
In this episode with Mark, you’ll learn:
- Mark’s journey from the Army to finance to becoming a serial healthcare entrepreneur
- The complicated nature of healthcare and challenges of starting a company in the industry
- How the idea for SonderMind stemmed from frustrations when Mark spent 3 months looking for a therapist, coupled with his sister’s experience as a therapist
- Achieving unicorn status
- The challenges and opportunities that surfaced with COVID
- Social media and its effects on mental health
- How to build a work environment employees can thrive in
- Mark’s advice for entrepreneurs